Why Choose Us
We know you have options when choosing a surgeon and hospital for your weight loss surgery. Here's why we think our program is a great choice:
Bariatric surgeon Dr. Joseph Chebli and Venice Bayfront Regional Health have the unique distinction of being dually accredited for bariatric surgery services. Our program is:
- A Center of Excellence - designated by the Surgical Review Corporation
- An Accredited Center - as determined by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
What does this mean?
Both organizations have a strict set of standards that must be met before they award their seals of approval. The rigorous review process helps ensure all components are in place that will produce the best outcomes for patients. This includes:
- Staff specially-trained to treat morbidly-obese patients, including the surgeon, nurses, radiologists, anesthesiologists, nutritionists and psychologists.
- Specialized equipment and accommodations (such as patient rooms with enlarged doorways and bathrooms) that help provide a safe and comfortable hospital stay.
- Most importantly, patient experiences and outcomes are evaluated and must also meet a high standard.
Being awarded these accreditations conveys our commitment and ability to provide high quality bariatric care. (Note: Medicare recently stipulated it will only cover bariatric surgery performed at a Center for Excellence.)
Dr. Chebli* has been a surgeon for 15 years, specializing in bariatric surgery the past ten. He has performed more than 1,300 bariatric procedures, and in 2015 alone, he anticipates performing more than 150 surgeries at Venice Regional Bayfront Health.
Additionally, Dr. Chebli is a three-time recipient of Vitals 'Patient Choice Award' - which is based on patient reviews/ratings and presented to less than 5% of physicians nationwide. While practicing in Washington, he was named a "Top Doctor" by Seattle magazine for seven years in a row (2007-'13). Dr. Chebli, his office staff and our hospital team work together to help you achieve success through the bariatric program.
*Member of the Medical Staff at Venice Regional Bayfront Health
We know it can be difficult to make that first phone call to schedule an appointment to talk about weight-loss surgery. We are here for you, and we will do everything possible to make sure you feel our support and encouragement. We will also help to schedule appointments with other providers as needed.
Some important points to note:
- Many other bariatric programs require a program fee - sometimes as high as $1,000 - that is usually not covered by insurance. The fee may be a flat-rate charged to receive a consultation, or it may be applied to appointments with nutritionists, psychologists, and other professionals whose services must be engaged before health insurance will approve surgery.
Dr. Chebli does not charge a program fee. Moreover, his staff works with patients to schedule appointments with providers who are in-network with their insurance plans, keeping your out-of-pocket costs to a minimum.
- We keep your physicians informed. Bariatric surgery is about more than just losing weight; it's about freeing yourself from health issues that are associated with obesity - such as high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep apnea. We will keep your primary care doctor and any specialists up-to-date on your progress so everyone is working together for your benefit.
- We will support you before, during and after your surgery. Venice Bayfront Regional Health offers pre-surgery education classes for patients and their families, and after-surgery there are twice-monthly support group meetings. We will help you stay focused on the path to a new life, with a focus on physical, mental and emotional well-being.
We look forward to supporting you on this journey!